Although there are quite severe traffic laws in Virginia, there are still several alarming cases of reckless driving in the state. As per VA reckless driving 46.2-862, the DMV points stay on record in VA of the accused individual typically for 11 years.
It is estimated that several thousand traffic accidents occur every year in the United States solely due to reckless driving. A car accident is something that nobody wants to experience. According to VA reckless driving 46.2-862. Exceeding Speed Limit, “An individual shall be guilty of the reckless driving offense who drives an auto vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth of Virginia (i) at a speed of 20 mph or more than the applicable highest speed limit or (ii) more than 80 mph irrespective of the applicable highest speed limit.”
A car accident puts your life and that of others at risk, jeopardizes the integrity of your vehicle, is a huge economic expense and brings serious emotional problems such as anxiety or constant fear. Without a doubt, nobody wants to be involved in an accident. Unless you are a professional of the scam, causing a vehicular collision is precisely what you look for on the roads.
As per VA reckless driving 46.2-862, reckless driving is a class 1 misdemeanor that comes with the highest punishment of TWELVE months in prison, $2,500 fine, 6 DMV points, and a Six-month suspension of one’s driving privileges. Besides such punishment, reckless driving can also endanger your life as well as the result of auto accident resulting from carelessness. Consequently, all drivers must be informed of how to act in an accident. Below we share some interesting recommendations that you might consider.
- If you suffer a traffic accident, the first thing to do is to stay calm to help people who may have been injured. Then, you should immediately call 911 to ask for medical help.
- Stay at the accident site. If it is safe, turn off the car and stay at the accident site. In many states of the country, leaving the scene of the accident is illegal.
- See if there is someone hurt. In case someone is injured, call 911 immediately and follow the instructions. Only if trained in first aid, proceed to help the injured; otherwise, wait for the authorities to arrive at the accident site.
- After the initial steps considering VA reckless driving 46.2-862, it is important to exchange information with the occupants of the other vehicle such as names, address, telephone number, registration number, driver’s license number and the name of the insurance company.
- Use your cell phone to take pictures of the accident, damaged and injured vehicles. With this you can show how the traffic accident really happened.
- Then, remove the car from the road to avoid another traffic accident or generate some traffic congestion.
- Remember that the insurance agency needs proof for the coverage to start working and can bear the costs.
- One of the most important recommendations is to stay calm in a tense moment as it is a traffic accident.
If you are accused of reckless driving, it is imperative to retain a well-versed lawyer to help minimize the punishment.